For those of you not signed up for my newsletter yet, here is the article I sent last month:
I recently had an inquiry about what the best foods are to eat to help with depression and I immediately thought of how that applies to everything in life we subject ourselves to. We truly are what we eat whether it’s food, what we read, watch on television, people we communicate with, absolutely everything that goes into us through each of our six senses is something we digest on some level. Yes, I did say six senses because I believe everyone has that even if it is just intuition or gut feelings.
Let’s look at food for example:
• What we eat either nourishes us or creates unhealthy responses
• Eating too much is unhealthy
• Not eating enough is unhealthy
• Eating the wrong type of food can cause heartburn, digestive issues or allergic reactions
• Eating bad food can make us ill or even kill us
Apply that example to everything you ingest in life and ask yourself the following questions:
• Is what I’m hearing, feeling, seeing or otherwise exposing myself to nourishing or causing unhealthy reactions?
• What am I getting too much of and what am I not getting enough of?
• Am I suffering from mental or spiritual heartburn, issues or allergic reactions?
• Is what I’m exposing myself to making me ill or possibly even killing me?
Take some time and become very aware of everything you are “eating” from moment to moment. The more mindful you become, the more you can begin to position yourself in a place where you are “eating” what you need to become healthy, whole and happy on every level of your being. Eat the best foods, listen to the best sounds, focus on the best feelings, look at beauty wherever you can find it and sense the love that is always around you. The more you adjust your diet in this manner, the better you will feel!
Mood Enhancing Foods to Fight Depression and Stress:
• Flax seeds
• Coconuts and their oils
• Fish (The fattier the fish, the better. Salmon is excellent)
• Macadamia Nuts
• Green Tea
• Chocolate (Try to stick to 70% Dark Chocolate, organic if possible)
Food that Help Fight Stress:
• Leafy greens
• Fatty fish
• Cornflakes or Crispy Rice Cereal (Special K is a great choice, try to avoid the sugary cereals)
Taking a good multivitamin is encouraged. Vitamins supplement the gaps in our diets. Especially when you age, you may require more vitamins than what your diet provides for you. Here is my list of suggested supplements for heart, brain, mood, energy, and emotional support. Do check with your doctor before starting new vitamin regimes. Some vitamins interact with prescription drugs, so you’ll want to check with your doctor to make sure they are okay for you.
• A good multivitamin
• B Complex, especially B12
• Fish Oil
• D3 (Excellent for immunity and fighting off colds and flu)
• Ginseng Complex
• Vitamin E
Give these a try in any different combinations you like and see how they help support a feeling of contentment and well-being.
If you found this information to be helpful, please pass it along to your friends and loved ones. Also, let me know what types of foods and how you eat to live an Inspir3d life!